anonymous wrote : Seam configuration could have been made simple by writing to
the jboss deployment framework. All the gobbledegook in web.xml and tagging ejb
jar files with a seam.properties file would have been unneeded. Sure, you would
have to use that extra metadata if you wanted to run in WLS or Websphere, but
don't you think we should be making things easier in environments where it is
possible?

You keep saying this Bill, but it just doesn't seem correct.

I don't see how a JBoss deployer could possibly reduce the web.xml
gobbledegook, a typical web.xml in 1.3 on AS 4.2 looks like:

<web-app>

  |     <listener>
  |         <listener-class>org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamListener</listener-class>
  |     </listener>
  |
  |     <filter>
  |         <filter-name>Seam Filter</filter-name>
  |         <filter-class>org.jboss.seam.web.SeamFilter</filter-class>
  |     </filter>
  |
  |     <filter-mapping>
  |         <filter-name>Seam Filter</filter-name>
  |         <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
  |     </filter-mapping>
  |
  |     <servlet>
  |         <servlet-name>Faces Servlet</servlet-name>
  |         <servlet-class>javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet</servlet-class>
  |         <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
  |     </servlet>
  |
  |     <servlet-mapping>
  |         <servlet-name>Faces Servlet</servlet-name>
  |         <url-pattern>*.seam</url-pattern>
  |     </servlet-mapping>
  |
  | </web-app>

I'm not sure which bit of that you find offensive, nor do I really see how
using a deployer would help.

Oh, and in 1.3, you don't need faces-config at all unless you are using
facelets.

As for the seam.properties file: BFD! It's an empty file. Who cares? I would
rather require it in all environments than have to document which environments
it is required in and which it is not, and make Seam applications more
unportable.

The only other bit of required metadata is ejb-jar.xml, which yes, we could
eliminate using a deployer, but again, it would reduce portability for little
obvious gain in simplicity. It looks exactly the same in every Seam
application, and you simply never have to open it or think about it.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4057108#4057108

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4057108