I tend to agree that the JBoss-blocking behavior of incorrectly set up
XADataSources is a bug.  I ran into this too, and judging from the
number of "Oracle pool hanging" messages on this list, a lot of people
are running into it.

I think it happens at the end of the pool creation when
XADataSourceLoader of JBoss does a quick call to check the health of the
Minerva XADataSource.  The health check hangs waiting for a connection
from the source.  If the data source is set up incorrectly in any way,
the pool will never contain a connection to allocate, and the call hangs.

I think a call to an XADataSource.getConnection() should get an
SQLException when the underlying connection factory (in this case, in
the excellent Minerva) gets an SQLException.  My $0.02.

Tim Taylor