ooops, soory, when i reread my post, it seems like i'm in a bit of a friday
mood as well......

what i meant to say was.....

the servlet is accessed via:

http://localmachine:8080/EntryPointServlet

it  forwards the request to a jsp page at:

 /Web-content/start.jsp

in  this page is a link to another page in the same
folder, but i want the request to go to the servlet, and then the servlet
forwards it to the appropriate page, which is:

 /EntryPointServlet/Web-content/next.jsp

i can find the page directly using

/Web-content/start.jsp

but not via the servlet....

thanks for the reply dan - not quite a mind reader but given my initial
email, pretty good. any more advice gratefully receieved....

cheers, simon