Firstly - I am the JBoss-Jetty maintainer and my mate
Greg is Jetty's author - so take everything I say with
a pinch of salt.

If you stick to JSDK 2.2 and JSP 1.1 you _SHOULD_
(please let me know if you don't) find that the WAR
part of your EARs deploys and runs fine in either
web-container. This is the idea of having standard
APIs.

Those are the similarities.

These are the differences:

1. Jetty serves both static and dynamic content via
the same infrastructure. AFAIK you need Tomcat AND
Apache in order to otherwise achieve this.

2. Jetty is designed to be small, lightweight, simple
and embeddable. Apache and TomCat have a larger
footprint.

3. Apache is de-facto industry standard, with an
enormous user community, whereas Jetty is not. TomCat
also has a far bigger user community than Jetty.

4. Internal Jetty components are exposed to JBoss' JMX
Agent. AFAIK this is not YET the case with TomCat, but
probably not of much practical use !

<FLAME trousers=on>
5. I believe, although I have no substantiating
evidence, that using Jetty MAY give you a higher
throughput. This is due to it's emphasis on simplicity
and lightweightedness. I am sure that TomCat is
probably demonstrably more functional.
</FLAME>

In conclusion, there is no clear winner - otherwise
one of us would have thrown in the towel. We represent
different approaches and ideologies.

If you are not particularly worried about serving high
volume static pages,would benefit from the simplicity
of running your entire setup from within one Java
process and are not worried by the fact that the rest
of the world has not chosen the same path as you - try
Jetty (the mailing list is actually very responsive).
If not go with Tomcat.

If you are not worried about static content, try both
and post your comparisons to this list so we may all
benefit from your experience.

Greg may want to add a little here...

Hope that helps,

Jules