FYI: I took a clue from bug #420714 an tried moving my "setRollbackOnly" to
a session bean.  I was doing something like this before in my entity bean:

this.entityContext.setRollbackOnly();
throw new StorageSynchronizationException(); // my application exception

I changed the entity bean:

// this.entityContext.setRollbackOnly();
throw new StorageSynchronizationException(); // my application exception

And I added to the the stateful session bean which was calling the entity
bean:

catch(StorageSynchronizationException ex)
{
  this.sessionContext.setRollbackOnly();
  throw ex;
}

This works correctly!  The problem appears to be specific to entity beans.
Nevertheless, it is still a problem, but at least I have a better
workaround.

Mike