I'm not too surprised that any particular driver makes this work, however
my reading of the spec makes this behavior outside the spec:

jdbc3.0 pfd 3:

table b1 and b2 indicate the only java object corresponding to a BLOB field
is Blob!  byte[] goes with Binary, VarBinary or LongVarBinary, NOT BLOB.
So I think a spec compliant driver will not allow access to BLOB fields
except from Blob objects, which can't be created... obviously I think this
is an error in the spec.

david jencks