Posted this to the forums about a week ago, in case it was missed, here's
my feedback & findings:

> Web forums are really not for everyone,
> specifically in 56k land.

Well I've had the privilege to compare the speeds of both 56k and DSL
lines just today. (I've finally managed to get my DSL running, after
enduring one hardware meltdown -- what a frustrating week).

It seems that at least some of the speed issues can be caused by the
browser. Right now I'm posting this from a 56k line using IE5. The forum
is very fast.

At the same time I have another box next to me, on DSL, with Netscape
4.61. Extremely slow. I tried Mozilla on the same box, it was faster, but
not even close to what I can do with IE5 and a sucky 56k line :)

The forums were faster even on Netscape (fast enough for me) when they
were not embedded into the JBoss L&F. JBoss.org site has always been
rather slow for me on Netscape, and I suspect it has something to do with
the fancy background layout. Netscape actually pegs my CPU for several
seconds every time it renders the JBoss L&F.

A common problem with both browsers and both connections is the login and
posting though. They both seem to get hung up pretty badly. I tend to just
open a second window to continue with the forum browsing while waiting the

Anyway, those were my findings. If IE is an option, might be worth a try
(I don't prefer it, but I will use it for these forums from now on :P).

-- Juha

PS. the slowness of login/post has gone away for me. It works quite well
now (if using IE)