I wrote a little test application to ensure that my
database DataSource was set up correctly and had
successfully connected to the database.  My program did
a JNDI lookup on the DataSource and ran some simple SQL
statements.

  I got errors accessing the DataSource from my test
program.  When using the JNDI name directly
(ie. "DefaultDS") I got a NameNotFoundException.  When
using "java:DefaultDS", or anything like that, I get the
error: javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException: jnp
[Root exception is java.net.UnknownHostException: jnp].

  To check I did a lookup on an object listed in the
Global JNDI Namespace as listed in the JNDIView MBean
and got ClassCastExceptions as would be expected.

  Are the DataSource objects just not available outside
the server?  Am I doing something wrong here?