I think the only useful thing you can impelement with a file system
connector is serialization: keep connections from accessing the same file
at the same time. Transactions without versioning would be very difficult.
I don't really see any place for security.

If you are interested in an example that is only a little more complicated
than what would be necessary for a filesystem connector, I can send you my
javaspace adapter.  I haven't been able to test it, however based on the
other (3) adapters I've written I think everything important is
implemented.  I'd also be happy to answer questions and review code.

Aside from the spec, the recent jca book is somewhat informative, but
copying an existing adapter will be much easier.

david jencks