> > 2) Log4j
> > The best way to do logging for a bean (at the moment)
> > private static final Category log = Category.newInstance(MyClass.class);
> >

>The following accomplishes the same thing, and can be cut and pasted from
>one source to the next.
>
>    private static final Category log =
>Category.getInstance(getClass().getName());

Blind leading the Blind :-)

Of course, it is getInstance() not newInstance()
But you cannot use getClass() from a static context, you need an
object for that :-(

The reason for static is to avoid serialization problems.
And the ejb spec requires all static attributes to be final.

> > 3) run.bat
> > Don't put anything in the classpath of run.bat, especially not
> > something that uses Class.forName() to load classes.
> > Put your jars in jboss/lib/ext
>
>I would disagree with this.  I prefer to keep the JBoss directories
>"virgin", and add whatever I need extra to an external directory.  I then
>modify run.sh to put my extra jars on JBoss's classpath.  You can probably
>accomplish the same thing with classpath extensions.  By doing this,
>upgrading from one version of JBoss to the next is easier.  I try to follow
>this same philosophy with other packages (e.g., Tomcat.)

The lib/myext is better. In the future the JBoss3 branch will
keep track of which deployments use each jar for automatic dependency
checking. This could also lead to hot-deploying util jars
that use a JBoss classloader.
If you load from the classpath in run.sh, it can't do this :-(

Regards,
Adrian