>   I need to write a custom login module.  I run some searches on the forums,
> cause I figure this is a pretty common exercise.
> My search for "custom login module" returns with around 26 items, but only
> two are displayed... I run into similar problems all the time

I ran the same search,
Search Results: 1428 [Results Per Page: 10]

are you searching all forums, or just security?  on security I got:

Search Results: 487 [Results Per Page: 10]

> The fact that the forums are unreliable makes the whole community look
> bad...  How can we expect the world at large to adopt jboss when our own
> user forum is a piece of #%$?....  How does this look to people that are
> evaluating jboss for use at their company....   I assume the forums aren't
> actually running on jboss, but that is irrelevant...

I'm guessing they could be running on JBoss, the your criticism should be aimed at
jive, which is the forum software I believe.  It
is the same software that sun use on their forums afaik.

Is there a point to your post, or are you just frustrated?

cheers
dim