>From JavaWorld
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-04-2002/jw-0412-opensource.html

<quote>
The most vocal proponent of an open source-compatible J2EE is JBoss founder
Marc Fleury, who fears that opening up J2EE may happen too late. "We need
the whole of J2EE to be compatible [with open source], and we need it to be
now," he says. Fleury, who has also founded the JBoss Group consulting
company, claims that although his project is essentially J2EE's reference
implementation, its adoption is hurting because, due to its open source
license, it cannot get J2EE certification. That lack of certification is
causing some potential JBoss users to turn to Microsoft, simply because
JBoss doesn't have a trusted brand like J2EE. "If you don't have J2EE
certification, you don't have a level playing field," he says. "We have a
problem fighting .Net because we don't have the brand."
'Sun says it's aware of JBoss's issues and that it is working to resolve
Fleury's concerns. "It's going to take awhile to get it right," says one Sun
executive familiar with the situation. "[Fleury's] basic problem is that the
project that he started was in violation of a specification license." Also
according to the Sun executive, JBoss is in a different position from Tomcat
"because [Sun] asked Tomcat to do what they're doing." JBoss is also in a
different position because Sun is extremely concerned with maintaining
compatibility for the J2EE platform, and it views open source as a potential
threat to that compatibility. As Karen Tegan, director of Sun's J2EE
compatibility and platform services, said in a TheServerside.com interview
earlier this year, the "J2EE Compatible brand has achieved significant
momentum over the past two years, and we want to make sure that any open
source efforts don't impact the viability of that effort."
<quote>
So JBoss is basically in violation with J2EE?  I think Sun are just having a
their own little legal trip here - not really tied in with reality.  Any
other thoughts?
    david