This is just a comment from some unnamed executive, and as we all know
executives don't know much in a company the size of Sun. Do you know how
many executives Sun has?.  I am sure that if you ask another unnamed
executive, you would get another opinion.

Also the specification gives specifically gives us the right to create a
clean room implementation.

<quote>
Sun hereby grants you a fully-paid, non-exclusive, non-transferable,
worldwide, limited license (without the right to sublicense), under
Sun's intellectual property rights that are essential to practice the
Specification, to internally practice the Specification solely for the
purpose of creating a clean room implementation of the Specification[...]
</quote>

-dain