I had a similar problem when I went from JBoss-2.4.x_Tomcat-3.2.x to
jboss-3.0.0RC1_tomcat-4.0.3.  I got in the habit of including my ejb
home and remote interfaces in my war file, which works fine in the older
version.  However, in this latest version, I needed to *not* include any
ejb interfaces in my war file.  Once I took them out, JBoss was happy
(my null pointer like yours went away).  I attributed it to the new
"UnifiedClassLoader."  I'm not sure if other app servers will be happy
with this, though.  I always try to make my ear's app-server agnostic.
I have no problem including multiple extra xml descriptors as they are
just ignored in other servers (ie: jboss-web.xml vs. weblogic.xml),
however which classes have to get included in the ejb-jars or wars have
to be the same...

David