we had some problems with too many files being opened by the java process.
you can find out the number of open files by giving.

cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

This wil give a result like
2448    183     8192

where  2448 are the currently allocated file handles, 183 is the number of
file handles are not used and 8192 is the maximum number that can be opened.

so for the above number, the number of files used are
2448 - 183 = 2265.

just try running a script that monitors these values. This might be one
reason.

Regards,
Nagarajan.