Dain Sundstrom mentioned:

> This is a feature I have wanted for a while.  We discussed this at the
> JBoss retreat, but no one can seem to decide on how to pull it off.  I
> think we should support a ports file (MBean) which the other services
> would look to first for the port numbers, but they didn't like that.  I
> can't really remember why (I was a little drunk at the time).

I have recently implemented 6 separate JBoss 2.4.3 servers on a single
machine.

The biggest problem is the JNDI port, which needs to be at a known address.
This can be changed, but to something non standard. There was a second port
(4444) which also had to be manually remapped in the deployment descriptor.
But it is easy enough to do.

On Linux you can use virtual IP addresses and then specify the "hostname"
property to run different servers. You also have "chroot" facility which
runs applications in a virtual directory, preventing them from seeing other
system files. So I guess you could put something together, although I have
not tried it myself.

Of course, an IBM zSeries or Transmeta Blade server would be more
interesting, although I doubt they would be as cost effective. :)

IMHO, I would not want to run several servers in the same VM if I could help
it. Namespace conflicts and the possibility of someone calling System.exit()
being two worries. Yes they can be solved, but only with added complexity.

- Matthew