Greetings.

Which 2.4 Kernel?  And did you reset the Thread/Process handles in the Kernel?

Above 2.4.10 (I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND 2.4.18 for this, btw), a new thread manager
and virtual process manager was put into the Linux Kernel.
The gotcha's;
1) Many Distro's, including SuSE, patched OUT the new thread manager in 2.4.17 and
below (there were some bugs)
2) Linux Kernels ship with the following maximums by default;
   Max Threads/Process = 64;
   Max Processes/System = 1024

These defaults cause serious performance degradation of JBoss on Linux systems
starting at around 150-200 concurrent users.  I boosted test box up to Threads =
8192/Process=8192, have not had any
problems, and the box screams.  (Have not actually deployed into production yet,
sorry).  The reason that the defaults are so low is that for end-users, and
development boxes, this prevents runaway
forkers from taking down the system.  This does cause an issue for production servers,
however.

-Steve