More detail that may change your mind on the diagnosis.
In addition to a jsp directory containing .jsp files, there
were other directories, such as "graphics" and "css" that
also did not show when looking at the content through
the browser that were deployed as part of the same
.war file. Restart jboss and everything is back leaving
absolutely everything alone (ie, deploying the same .war
file without replacing it).

Different?

> Jetty and Tomcat both use Jasper as their JSP engine.
>
> This is most likely a problem with Jasper, or some other process on your
> box cleaning up /tmp.
>
> If you are sure that no external process is screwing things up, then one
> way to avoid this happening would be to precompile your JSPs.
>
> This means that you will no longer be deploying any JSPs, but compiled
> Servlets. Then you will have no temporarily cached class files to worry
> about.
>
> advantages are:
>
> - compile-time errors will be caught in development, not production
> - deploying to a heavily loaded site will not cause multiple concurrent
> compilations of e.g. index.jsp (patch submitted to Jasper)
> - dispatch of request to servlet is simpler and therefore quicker since
> it goes direct from Jetty->Servlet and not Jetty-.Jasper->Servlet.
> - no compile environment needed on your production box - where it may be
> considered a security hazard.
>
> This FAQ contains an entry on JSP precompilation which I hope will be
> enlightening....

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jboss/contrib/jetty/FAQ?rev=H
EAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup