Thank you for all your replies, but I'm still a bit confused WRT something
Floyd Marinescu writes in his EJB Design Patterns book.  In it, he describes
the concurrency issues involved in a primary key generation pattern that
involves the use of a Sequence CMP bean.

I think he's saying that I can get away with a READ_COMMITTED isolation level
(Oracle's default, I believe) if the app server can provide "verified
updates".  I'm not entirely sure what those are, but here's Floyd's

"Isolation of READ_COMMITTED with application server CMP verified updates.
In this case, the application server will compare the contents of the
Sequence entity bean to that in the database before transaction commit time.
If it is discovered that a previous transaction has already gotten the next
block, an exception will be thrown.  This is an optimistic concurrencty check
implemented at the application server level, allowing you to use a
transaction isolation level of just READ_COMMITTED, since the application
server guarantees consistency."

Does/can JBoss 3.0.x provide this guarantee?

Jim