I think a session bean doing threads is not encouraged, but accessing
something else that happens to be threaded could be ok. In my testing it is
ok in jboss right now anyway, I do spawn off threads for multiple requests.

I really don't understand the restriction anyway. So long as your response
to a call in a session bean blocks until all internal threads are done, I
can't see why the server would care.

I think what they mean to restrict is a bean spawning a thread, then
returning he original call while it runs. Then the container could try to
passivate something really running. So using threads within one blocking
call of a bean should be safe. Wish it was clearer.

In fact I wish they would just allow it for those that need it in the case I
mentioned too. All they need do is has a call to either poll a bean to see
if it's active or not, or have the bean do callbacks to indicate when it's
idle (no threads running).

Rick