Alex,

In the current version of the spec - filters only get applied
to requests as they enter the container - not after request
dispatching and undefined for error pages.

In JSR154 (the 2.4 version of the spec), I was able to push
through some clarifications on the welcome page mechanism and
also extend the new Filter definitions to error pages.
In 2.4 you will be able to specify if a filter applies to
an normal request, a forward, an include or an error page.

But that does not help you now!  As it is in 2.3 your
filter will be applied to the original request, but not
for the implicit forwarding to the error page.
My only suggestion is to write an error servlet that collects
all the details and then does a META redirect to a URL that
encodes the details.  The redirected request will pass
through your filter and will be able to display the results
of your filter.   Not very nice I'm afraid!

regards

--
Greg Wilkins<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>             Phone/fax: +44 7092063462
Mort Bay Consulting Australia and UK.          http://www.mortbay.com