Pete Beck wrote:
> That's an easy one.  Using web-servers enables you to use the benefits
> of a well-established infrastructure.
> It means that you can present you services to clients without
> having to
> worry about firewalls etc.

This is a typical example of corporate thinking.  "We've installed a
firewall to protect ourselves from unauthorized connections, and we've
decided that only connections on port 80 should be authorized.  But wait
a minute: one of our own projects would involve CORBA, which would use a
port other than 80.  Solution: open up one little port on our firewall,
and have the CORBA application authenticate the requests?  No!  Instead,
we'll ditch CORBA and use SOAP instead, because we can do it on port 80!
In fact, why not do email, ssh, and every other protocol on port 80,
too?  Never mind that this makes the whole concept of a firewall
completely useless, that the network administrator will now have no hope
of ever distinguishing legimitate connections from unauthorized ones,
and that the application will *still* have to authenticate the requests.
Oh, and it's too bad that we won't be able to use remote references or
transaction control, as we would have if we'd used CORBA, and that the
whole thing will be hideously slow because we're parsing XML for every
request... At least we didn't have to open up that firewall port!"

> CORBA can claim the same, but non-techies generally
> aren't familiar with the idea of distributed objects.  Now if you tell
> them you have a system where computers can talk to each other over the
> web, then you have something they can understand.

Translation: SOAP is CORBA for Dummies.

Ben