Well then to elaborate the Swing client of my EJBs uses the following module to log in:

      <application-policy name = "myDomain">

            <authentication>

                  <login-module code = "org.jboss.security.auth.spi.DatabaseServerLoginModule" flag = "required">

                        …

                  </login-module>

            </authentication>

      </application-policy>

Whereas (as described earlier) the MBean client of my EJBs has to use the following module to log in:

    <application-policy name = "client-login">

       <authentication>

          <login-module code = "org.jboss.security.ClientLoginModule"

             flag = "required">

          </login-module>

       </authentication>

    </application-policy>

What I am saying is, since I have declared a domain called myDomain using the user database of my system, I think it is reasonable to expect that both the Swing client and the MBean client could log in using the “myDomain”. As mentioned, if my MBean carries out a login on the “myDomain” using, say, the same credentials as my Swing client, the log in is of course successful, however, due to the way JBoss works my MBean still does not get access to my EJBs. For my MBean to get access to EJBs it has to use a different log in module configuration, namely the “client-login” referring to the “ClientLoginModule”.

Unfortunately I have not yet contributed code to JBoss, so I cannot tell whether there is a sound design reason for the way this is. All I am saying is, I find it reasonable for JBoss users to expect that when a Swing client can log in and get access to the EJBs using “myDomain”, so can any other client – including MBeans.

Randahl