There is no reason you have to separate the web container from the EJB container. The only reason this ever came up in J2EE is the other vendors charge so much for a CPU license you wanted to maximize the CMP utilization of the EJB boxes.

The only good reasons I have heard is security. For security I don't believe that you can get the same benefit by using a proxy process in front.

-dain