>>I thought splitting my app between two machines should also give
>>me a significant performance even though the serialization overhead,
>>shouldn't it?

This was believed to be true early on in J2EE (1999-2000), but now most
vendors advise in-JVM web and EJB containers to minimize the
marshalling/unmarshalling overhead.  Where's your web server (e.g., Apache,
etc.)?  You could use the extra box as the web server, which is a good idea
if you use SSL since SSL is so resource intensive.  In this case, you'd have
Apache w/ SSL on a separate box to prevent hogging resources from your app
server.

my 2 c,
Jason