Scott M Stark wrote:
You can't define such a minimal container configuration without extending an
existing one. Use:
<jboss>
<container-configurations>
<container-configuration extends="Standard Stateful SessionBean">
<container-name>Stateful Session Bean MasteringEJB</container-name>

Great, my JAR deployed successfully when I copied it into $JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy.

I was then able to run a simple client application which uses 3 separate EJB objects (each of which is a simple stateful session bean) and does a simple task. However, what I was trying to do is limit the pool of available stateful session beans to 2, so that the ejbPassivate() and ejbActivate() methods would be called.

I also adjusted my jboss.xml to include an <enterprise-beans> element with a <session> element whose <ejb-name> is the same as the <ejb-name> I have in my ejb-jar.xml, and whose <configuration-name> is the same as the <container-name> element in my <container-configuration>. I have appended the updated contents of the jboss.xml file to the end of this email in case it is of any use.

I am guessing that this is what Brian Wallis was referring to when he said that setting a <container-pool-conf> MaximumSize is not a "hard limit". Does anyone know of another way to constrain the number of session beans? I don't have to do this, but I wanted to see this in action (self-education). Thanks again Brian and Scott for pointing me in the right direction on this.

Erik

(my jboss.xml:)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE jboss PUBLIC
    "-//JBoss//DTD JBOSS 3.0//EN"
    "http://www.jboss.org/j2ee/dtd/jboss_3_0.dtd";>
<jboss>
    <enterprise-beans>
        <session>
            <ejb-name>Count</ejb-name>
            <configuration-name>
                Stateful Session Bean MasteringEJB
            </configuration-name>
        </session>
    </enterprise-beans>

    <container-configurations>
        <container-configuration
            extends="Standard Stateful SessionBean">

            <container-name>
                Stateful Session Bean MasteringEJB
            </container-name>
            <container-pool-conf>
                <MaximumSize>2</MaximumSize>
                <feeder-policy>
                    org.jboss.ejb.plugins.TimedInstancePoolFeeder
                </feeder-policy>
                <feeder-policy-conf>
                    <increment>0</increment>
                    <period>0</period>