Bill Burke wrote:
It looks like you do not have any provider url set.  When this is true,
JBoss will try to discover the JNDI service via multicast.  Multicast may
not be running on your machine.  Are you running unplugged from network?

Hm... no, the machine has a dedicated network connection. Do you mean the java.naming.provider.url? I am running the client from within an Ant build file, and have defined it as a system property. Here is an example:

  <java
   classname="examples.${client.class}"
   failonerror="true"
   fork="true">
    <classpath refid="compile.classpath"/>
    <classpath refid="client.classpath"/>
    <sysproperty key="java.naming.factory.initial"
                 value="org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory"
    />
    <sysproperty key="java.naming.provider.url"
                 value="localhost:1099"
    />
  </java>

and just to make sure that the system properties are indeed being passed into my simple client program, I have even hardcoded these values like so:

        try {
            java.util.Properties props = new java.util.Properties();
            props.setProperty(
                "java.naming.factory.initial",
                "org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory");
            props.setProperty(
                "java.naming.provider.url", "localhost:1099");
            Context ctx =
                // new InitialContext(System.getProperties());
                new InitialContext(props);
            Object obj = ctx.lookup("Account");
            AccountHome home =
                (AccountHome)PortableRemoteObject.narrow(
                    obj,
                    AccountHome.class);

And in addition to "localhost:1099", I've tried "jnp://localhost:1099", as shown in the 3.2.x docs (p. 180).

I'm really bewildered. I've made no changes to the network settings of this box (Win2K w/Cygwin), and since I'm using a freshly-downloaded JBoss 3.2.1, I can't think of a single configuration within JBoss that may have caused the problem. It's just like the client program can't find an InitialContext or something.

Erik