Scott,
 I've attached the test case and the schema file (Sql Server 2000).

 To recap the problem I see is:

   BarLocal bar = barHome.create();
   FooLocal foo = fooHome.create(bar);
   foo.getBar(); // This works fine
   bar.getFoos(); // This returns an empty collection

 If I insert a finder call after the creates then the test works correctly -
bar.getFoos returns a collection containing one element (foo). This is
because the finder forces a sync with the database.

 The code should build easily enough (uses ant build scripts), anything you
need to modify should be in cmrtest-config.xml. The testcase builds 2 files
to deploy:

CmrTest/build/ejb/target/cmrtest-ejb.jar  -  which contains the entities &
session.
CmrTest/build/service/jboss3/target/cmrtest-service-jboss3.sar  -  This is a
mbean service (it was faster than writing a cactus testcase) used to run the
test case.

 Deploy the cmrtest-ejb.jar. Then deploy the cmrtest-service-jboss3.sar. Go
to the JMX console and start the service (it's listed as "service=cmrtest").
The service has two test methods, "testWithFinder" and "testWithoutFinder".
The test cases should have the same output - and for Alex's setup they do.
However for me the testWithoutFinder case always fails - it gets an empty
collection back.

 I'm going to try this on a clean setup but it would be great if others
could test this.

thanks,
gavin