Greetings.

Source Forge seems to be no longer sending me every developer digest, but dropping random ones (A complete list of dropped emails can be sent on request). I am hoping that one of the dropped developer digests has the start, and discussion, as to why all of the 4.0 code has been rolled back from Head. I am hoping that this was not an arbitrary back room decision, like the revocation of "certain developers" CVS write access was.

A search of the JBoss forums only turned up discussions on EJB and Transaction rollbacks (note: I have found the search tool on the forums to be one of the most useless things ever invented, nor has it improved noticeably since PostNukes was put in).

A search of the archives on Sourceforge found the following two statements from Bill Burke;

<Statement 1>
Do to instabilities and poorly written code added to the deployment and
 EJB layers by certain developers who are no longer with us, we are
 rolling back 4.0 to the current 3.2 series and slowly merging in new 4.0
 technology like AOP, Remoting, etc.  And also rewriting the poorly
 written code that needs to be in 4.0 as well.  We are doing this so that
 future 4.0 development can be done off of a stable base.

<Statement 2>
 Now that we've rolled back, let's start being really careful on how we
 treat HEAD.  HEAD is not a playground.  Let's not be sloppy coders.  Run
 the testsuite before you commit anything big.  If you are experimenting
 with a rewrite, create your own branch to work on.  Let's keep HEAD
 stable this time around.

While rolling back unstable/buggy code is normal, it is not normal to revert all changes for several months (possibly just under a year?) by many developers. Especially WITHOUT a discussion!!! From this side of the fence, it looks almost as if the main purpose of the first statement was to slam code contributed by developers with their Write Access revoked for ONLY POLITICAL REASONS to generate a reason for removal, and then remove it. Specifically, the 1st statement makes reference to developers "who are no longer with us", a clear reference to the CDN Developers who have, en masse, had their CVS access revoked by JBoss Group LLC for apparently political reasons, and adds as an after thought about poorly written code.

I hope that this rollback is not just to remove contributions from developers that JBoss Group LLC is apparently pissed off at, as it would indicate continued extreme childness on their part. It would also indicate their willingness to damage a valuable product just for spite. And that last is something I am definately not comfortable with, and would not deal with for my clients.

Regards,
Steve

PS> In regards to the Mortbay crew, as their project is now integrated into multiple OpenSource projects, some of which are apparently competing, it is not unheard of for them to have write access to all the projects that integrate Jetty. This has occured with other projects, where developers from a "third party" application are given write access to multiple, sometimes competing, projects. The reason? This allows these particular third party developers to fine tune the integration to the project(s) that they are working on. It also speeds up integration of the third party app into the current application (such as Jetty into JBoss). Would these third party application developers have a final say in where the project base code came from or was used? Unlikely, unless they were project admins (which they are not, at least not with Elba, don't know if they ever were with JBoss), or management at the firm responsible for the code. For example, did the Jetty crew ever have final say in where JBoss was going? Or what design decisions were made? Unlikely. It is highly likely that they would have input into relevant and related designs and decisions in JBoss, but highly unlikely they would have had final say. And as Core Developer Network is based on Partners, not Managers, one person would likely not have final say there as well. So your claims about why the Mortbay crew's write access to your CVS code was revoked do not make sense, and therefore throw into question everything else you say about why the Core Developer crew's write access was revoked.

Courtesy Copied to the Keel Meta-Framework group, as JBoss is integrated as one of our modules, and we need to be aware of what JBoss is doing, and where it is going. I am hoping we do not have to switch to another J2EE provider, but the recent actions of the JBoss Group LLC have made me very, very nervous.

--
Java/J2EE Developer/Integrator
Co-Chair, Dallas/FortWorth J2EE Sig