Thanks - I really appreciate the help.

Also, is this problem something which you have worked around for 3.2.2?
(I'm still seeing it in 3.2.1.). Or is this something which can't be
solved until Sun fixes their stuff?

I noticed that there is a UnifiedClassLoader2 which looks like it solved
the original deadlock problem by locking the UnifiedLoaderRepository
from the loadClass method. It also looks like it didn't have the
ClassCircularityError issue that UnifiedClassLoader3 has (since it never
relinquishes the ClassLoader lock via a call to wait).  What was wrong
with this approach such that you switched to UnifiedClassLoader3?

Thanks,
Rob

Foo