First, it is the spec requirement.
Second, do you run Servlet container in the same VM as JBoss? If so, you could begin/commit transaction in the web layer and no need for value objects.

Neal Sanche wrote:

Hi All,

I've found recently that it's becoming increasingly painful to avoid the 'CMR Collection cannot be modified outside of a transaction' when navigating down CMR many relations. Navigating down a 1 to 1 relation works fine. The thing is, all I'm trying to do is easily display information in web pages. I find myself constantly creating little 'value' classes that contain non-cmr collections just to get around the errors. I must be missing something.

Is there a way to flag CMR lookups as read-only so JBoss doesn't get cranky about requiring transactions all the time?

-Neal