Hi Craig,
I'm experiencing the same problem that you are, and have been for a while now.
Here is what the examples on the wiki neglect to mention:

A stand-alone client cannot execute the code posted there without having JBOSS
running locally (i.e. on the same machine). Once you assume this architecture
to be ideal for your situation (definitely not ideal for me), go ahead and
deploy the j2ee client jar just as the wiki suggests, but make sure your
stand-alone client and jboss running the j2ee client jar are actually on the
same computer. Your stand-alone client should then pull the WS artefacts off
the local JNDI, and execute them locally. The work of connecting to your remote
web service, running on a different computer with yet another instance of
JBOSS, will be performed by the j2ee client jar on your local JBOSS instance.
Sounds convoluted? I agree. Looks like an academic exercise? I agree. Not
something you'd exactly present to a customer who wants to run your stand-alone
client, right?

To work around this I've spent sleepless nights trying all sorts of
configurations to get a true stand-alone client without the need for a JBOSS
install on a client machine. My stand-alone client is deployed via JWS, as a
requirement. So obviously deploying JBOSS at each download of the client is out
of the question. In this dark, obscure and lonely quest, I've experienced the
classcastexception issues you've come across. The classcast exceptions are
probably because you have jwsdp jars in your classpath, particularly the jaxrpc
ones, as well as Jboss jars. The client runtime seems to get confused between
sun and jboss based classes at so many different levels that it's easier to
simply isolate the two types of jars.

You might say lets cast the darn things, but trust me, if you intend to
actually spend your developing your application, isolate the files one by one.
Run your app with either JBOSS or Sun jars. There will be one or two sun
classes that you cannot do without as your classloader complains, but pick them
out of the jar and stick them in a new sanitized jar. I tried running just Sun
based jars for my app, got some different type of problem, so now I'll try and
run against just the JBOSS based jars, with a few selective Sun classes.

I've read the responses that talk about the bane of using implementation
specific solutions for the stand-alone client. Guess what folks, my customers
do not really care whether or not the stand-alone client is J2EE compliant or
not. The interoperability thing is cool, but if we have to include JBOSS on
every single client computer to get the thing to work, how can this be a
portable solution?

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3902700#3902700

Reply to the post :