Using FSF emacs (will try xemacs shortly) and 2.2.7b10, I was able to
debug the test code I wote about earlier.

<theory>
I was interested to learn that previous releases of JDEbug had been
setting a debug thread to max priority; I'm testing on linux and on that
platform native threads are implemented as processes.  I did notice
(but did not report) that emacs became quite sluggish when I started
JDEbug, which might meant that it was having trouble getting CPU cycles.
You may recall that earlier yesterday, with the same release, I was
able to debug my application.  At that time I had many more processes
running concurrently on my system than I did when I could not debug later
that same day.  It worked, in other words, when the scheduler wouldn't
let the CPU be monopolized by the MAX_PRIORITY thread, and hung up when
there weren't any non-emacs/jde processes around to challenge "mad max."
</theory>

So, now that I can do my `basic' debug test, I'm trying some of
the debugging features that I haven't used before and am having new
problems. :-)

I attempted to `watch' the fields in my test class and entered the fully
qualified classname `test.Main' into the appropriate text entry field.
I got the following error:

Error: unable to enable watch request.
 Reason: '-sp' not understood: use either 'for_access' or 'for_modification'.

in the *JDEbug* buffer, this corresponds to the following failed instruction:

JDE> 1 10 watch test.Main  for_modification -sp none

(jde-dbo-command-error
10 "'-sp' not understood: use either 'for_access' or 'for_modification'")

Eric