> > In fact putting the following lines in .emacs
> >
> > ;; Highlight current line
> > (require 'highline)
> > (highline-mode-on)
> >
> > and the following lines in jde-mode-hook
> >
> >   (make-variable-buffer-local 'highline-line)
> >   (setq highline-line (cons fill-column 240))
> >
> > did the trick.
>
> On what Emacsen?  GNU Emacs or XEmacs.  What I want is a long vertical line that
> goes down column 80.  This is impossible on GNU Emacs due to the way overlays
> are done.  The only way a horizontal line can work is if you make a overlay from
> the beginning-of-line to the end-of-line +1.

It does not show a complete vertical line at 'fill-column'
but it does show a highlighted the part of the current line which is longer
than 'fill-column'. Granted this is not exactly the same thing as what was
originally asked for. Also this may be distracting to some people.

It works on my GNU Emacs.

-sandip