the code you sent works as described - thanks.
but it doesn't do exactly what i am looking for, in that you can
only tell if a line goes over the desired length if the cursor is
on the line.  i am looking for a way to show me all lines
over the defined column limit at a glance.  if the hilighting code
would hilight all characters which are beyond the desired column
length regardless of the position of the cursor that would be fine, or
having a visual cue such as a line down the right side of the buffer
at column 80, or anything else which was an easily detectable visual
cue.

thanks
aaron