Paul Kinnucan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> One of the issues regarding the jdb and JDEbug set breakpoint commands is that
> they really don't set breakpoints. They request them. The JDE allows you to
> "set" (i.e., request) a breakpoint when the debugger is not running. Both JDEbug
> and jdb allow you to set ("request") a breakpoint when a class is not loaded and
> thus when there is no way for the debugger to know if the breakpoint is
> valid. In this case, the debugger defers setting the breakpoint until the class
> loads. Currently the JDE's breakpoint highlight does not allow you to
> distinguish between a "provisional" breakpoint, i.e., one that has been
> requested but not confirmed, and one that is actually set. The breakpoint is
> marked with a yellow highlight in either case.  This can be confusing. So I'm
> thinking of using two colors to highlight lines where breakpoints are set.

OK.  This reminded me of something I should bring up.

What is the pattern for setting the face for JDE breakpoints.

Right now we have

Variable: jde-bug-breakpoint-marker-colors

One would assume that they could customize jde-bug-breakpoint-marker like any
normal face and the settings would stick around.

What is the purpose of these?  Isn't the `jde-bug-breakpoint-marker-colors'
variable just redundant?

> A yellow highlight would indicate that the breakpoint has been requested but
> not confirmed. A red highlight would indicate a confirmed breakpoint.
>
> Please let me know if you find any problems with this approach or have a
> better idea.

Colors are OK for old Emacsen.  GNU Emacs 21 supports the 'display property on
text.  We could put an icon at the beginning of the line and change this based
on the type of breakpoint (confirmed or unconfirmed).

I don't use XEmacs but I assume it has a similar facility.... even if we have to
use a glyph.

Kevin

- --
Kevin A. Burton ( [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
        Jabber - [EMAIL PROTECTED],  Web - http://relativity.yi.org/

The truth will set you free -- but first, it will piss you off.