Comments below:

There are a whole bunch of reasons I can cite for using emacs/jde that are
of major importance that you can present and not get in a tit-for-tat about
features.  There are bigger reasons than just that.  I recently went through
this cycle myself, and totally punted all other IDE's altogether and went to
emacs and jde cold, because there was so much justification for it.  Our
java user group (Orange County, CA) had a pretty good thread on this
recently, and I would be happy to recap for you if needed.

BradO