Marcel Schmittfull writes:
 > Hi !
 > I'm quite new to Emacs and I'd like to install the package JDEE. In order to so I've
 >to install elib (I downloaded it from http://jdee.sunsite.dk/elib-1.0.tar.gz).
 >
 > Now I encounter when installing elib on Linux SuSE Personal 8.0. Has anyone of you
 >had the same problems ?
 >
 > I changed the Makefile as follows:
 >
 > Makefile:
 > # ================================================================
 > # Change the following to reflect the situation at your site:
 >
 > prefix = /usr
 > ## was before: prefix = /usr/local
 > datadir = $(prefix)/share
 > locallisppath = $(datadir)/emacs/21.1/lisp
 > # This will fail if locallisppath is anything but a single directory.
 > # That is all right, since that is the default behaviour of Emacs; those
 > # that know how to change it, should know how to change this file.  And
 > # if this is accepted into GNU Emacs, the files should end up inside
 > # the normal lisp directory.
 > ELIBDIR = $(locallisppath)/elib
 > infodir = $(prefix)/share/info
 >
 > EMACS = emacs
 > MAKEINFO = makeinfo
 > TEXI2DVI = texi2dvi
 > SHELL = /bin/sh
 > INSTALL_DATA = cp
 >
 > # ================================================================
 > # You shouldn't change anything below this line.
 > #
 >

 > After `make install' (typed in as root) these errors occur:
 >
 > emacs -batch -l elib-compile-all.el -f compile-elib
 > mkdir /usr/share/emacs/21.1/lisp/elib
 > cp elib.info* /usr/share/info
 > if /bin/sh -c 'install-info --version' \
 >         >/dev/null 2>&1; then \
 >         install-info --infodir=/usr/share/info elib.info; \
 > else true; fi
 > install-info: Unbekannte Option »--infodir=/usr/share/info«
 > »install-info --help« gibt weitere Informationen.
 > make: *** [install-info] Fehler 1
 >

 > I don't understand anything of this error. What does it mean ?

Apparently, the version of install-info on your system does not
recognize the --infodir option.

If I were you, I would not bother with the makefile (I never
did). Simply unzip or copy the elib distribution to
/usr/share/emacs/21.1/site-lisp/elib.

Later when you become more proficient in Emacs you can try
compiling the elib Lisp files yourself. (It's not necessary
to compile Emacs Lisp files. In general, if I were you, I'd
get my installation working before I compiled any Lisp files.
Then you can try compiling the Lisp files to see if it makes
any difference in speed. In my experience, compilation
doesn't make any perceptible difference except in the
case of a few packages, e.g., psgml.)

- Paul