Either Web Start or a standalone JAR would work.  I'm not sure about
trying this with an applet, mainly because of security restrictions.  (Web
Start has security restrictions as well, but you don't have to deal with
the possibility of a buggy browser JVM.)

Artur's script is a good start on this.  Some of the features I'd like to
see in the installer, in addition to those stated, are:

 -) Backup of old versions
 -) Rollback to older versions
 -) Command-line and GUI interface (for those X-impaired people)
 -) Proxy support (maybe)

Figuring out which bundles are updated could be accomplished by looking in
a central file or searching a remote filesystem, although I favor the
former.

Any other ideas?
Here's one: How about renaming or deleting legacy JDEE variables not used in the new JDEE package? I just went through this very annoying process while customizing jde-key-bindings and trying to save my changes for the current session. Emacs kept prompting me of "Invalid functions" (for jde-complete-at-point-menu, for example) still mapped to keys.

I think that Klaus Berndl ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), author of ECB has a hack to do this.

Another feature of the Installer could the creation of an install log file. If it's going to mess around in the .emacs, then it should log all steps and make a backup of the original .emacs before it changes it.

Ciao,
Daniel