Ralph Jorre writes:

 > I don't often use a debugger but I have found JSwat very good and I just
 > wonder if it wouldn't be more efficient to just include some hooks so as
 > to be able to incorporate it efficiently.
 >
 > Maybe this would be easier to maintain than rewriting the debug.

I plan to look into this. The problem is that the task of writing
an Emacs front-end to JSwat may outway the advantage of replacing
JDEbug with JSwat as the backend. In other words, there already
exists a Lisp frontend to JDEbug. So it comes down to whether
it makes more sense for me to spend my time on creating a frontend
for JSwat or fixing the problems with JDEbug.

Complicating the decision is the fact that I have created a
generalized object-oriented debugger frontend, based on eieio.
I decided to do this because jdb and the JDEbug frontends have
a lot in common, e.g., essentially the same code for stepping
and setting, recording, and displaying breakpoints. The generalized
frontend allows both backends to inherit any improvements to
the front end. I have already ported jdb to use the
generalized frontend and am in the process of porting the
JDEbug frontend to the generalized front end. It is conceivable
that the generalized JDEE frontend could ultimately support
three backends:

  jdb
  JDEbug
  JSwat

In fact, I would prefer this as I believe there is value in having a
backend that is tuned to the JDEE plus support for alternative
backends as backups or to cater to user preferences for those
backends. My preference would be for somebody other than myself to
take on the task of creating a JDEE frontend to JSwat's console
mode. This would free me to concentrate on the generalized
frontend and on fixing the JDEbug backend.

Developing a JSwat frontend basically entails subclassing the JDEE's
generalized debugger frontend (see jde-db-debugger class) to support
JSwat's console commands. This should be a fairly straightforward
task. I'd be glad to serve as a consultant to anyone who wants
to undertake this project.

- Paul