Hugh Leather writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 >             I have some code in which I need to run beanshell.  So, at
 > the end of my .el file for my code I put (require 'jde), and I use
 > (bsh-eval .) in the functions above it.
 >
 >             My problem is that if I run one of my functions that need
 > bsh before loading a java file, then when I do actually load a java file
 > all the syntax colouring is missing.  I have to type M-x java-mode M-x
 > font-lock-mode M-x font-lock-mode to get it back.  This has some other
 > problems in that not all the jde features are available.
 >
 >             Essentially, I have to put a file into jde-mode before
 > starting bsh.  This is very frustrating and I'm sure I just being a big
 > idiot.  Can anyone point out my mistake?

It would help if you would specify basic info like what version of
the JDEE and Emacs you are using, host operating system, etc.

One possible reason that you don't get syntax coloring when loading
a Java file is that jde-mode is aborting due to an error before
it gets to invoke syntax coloring. One way to find out the error
is to put (setq debug-on-error t) at the head of your file. Another
way is to examine the Messages buffer after loading a Java file.

Please note that JDEE 2.3.3, now available in beta, contains and uses
a new version of beanshell.el that does not require the JDEE.

- Paul