Michael Coughlan wrote:

Hello all,

What emacs JDE tools are availble for validating a Tomcat web.xml file?

The built in xml-mode, psgml-mode and nxml-mode. I'd recommend the latter if you do a lot of XML editing.

Yesterday, I could edit my web.xml file and see the emacs JDE color coding
the tags blue and data black. Hurray!

As of today, I seem to have lost the pretty colors.

psgml-mode tends to do that when there are certain parsing errors, or if it can't find the DTD.

I would love it if my JDE could help to validate my web.xml in some way.
It's a pain to restart tomcat and parse the logs every time. I'd at least
like to get my color coding back.

JDE is concerned with Java development, so validating XML is outside its scope.
nxml mode will validate xml on the fly, properly if you have a RELAX-NG schema (which can be generated from the DTD), or just making sure start and end tags match if you don't. psgml-mode will validate from the DTD on demand if you install lots of external tools along with it.