John Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> While using JDE I ran into a problem compiling files with emacs CVS.
>
> It registers this complaint whenever I try to compile something
> (C-c C-v C-c):
>
> Symbol's value as variable is void:
> compilation-enter-directory-regexp-alist
>
> So I went looking for that variable and found that it had been
> removed in March. Here is an excerpt the changelog entry:

[...]

> The variable was used in beanshell.el and several other files in
> JDEE.

Hi,

This hit me as well. I worked around it by changing
some lines in beanshell.el:

*** beanshell.el.~1.68.~        Mon Sep 22 21:16:32 2003
--- beanshell.el        Thu Apr 29 21:23:23 2004
***************
*** 252,261 ****
      (with-current-buffer (oref this buffer)
        (let ((buf (oref this buffer))
            (error-regexp-alist compilation-error-regexp-alist)
!           (enter-regexp-alist (if (not (featurep 'xemacs))
compilation-enter-directory-regexp-alist))
!           (leave-regexp-alist (if (not (featurep 'xemacs))
compilation-leave-directory-regexp-alist))
!           (file-regexp-alist (if (not (featurep 'xemacs))
compilation-file-regexp-alist))
!           (nomessage-regexp-alist (if (not (featurep 'xemacs))
compilation-nomessage-regexp-alist))
            (parser compilation-parse-errors-function)
            (error-message "No further errors"))

--- 252,261 ----
      (with-current-buffer (oref this buffer)
        (let ((buf (oref this buffer))
            (error-regexp-alist compilation-error-regexp-alist)
!           (enter-regexp-alist nil)
!           (leave-regexp-alist nil)
!           (file-regexp-alist nil)
!           (nomessage-regexp-alist nil)
            (parser compilation-parse-errors-function)
            (error-message "No further errors"))

***************
*** 275,281 ****
        (set (make-local-variable 'compilation-error-message) error-message)
        (set (make-local-variable 'compilation-error-regexp-alist)
             error-regexp-alist)
!       (if (not (featurep 'xemacs))
            (progn
              (set (make-local-variable 'compilation-enter-directory-regexp-alist)
                   enter-regexp-alist)
--- 275,281 ----
        (set (make-local-variable 'compilation-error-message) error-message)
        (set (make-local-variable 'compilation-error-regexp-alist)
             error-regexp-alist)
!       (if (and nil (not (featurep 'xemacs)))
            (progn
              (set (make-local-variable 'compilation-enter-directory-regexp-alist)
                   enter-regexp-alist)

Now it compilation works again. next-error still signals an error
but it jumps to the error line. This has been good enough for me, so
I did not investigate further. It might also be the hl-compile
package I'm using.

Ole
--
Ole Arndt                     http://www.sugarshark.com