On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 21:03, John Russell wrote:
> I recently posted this to gnu.emacs.help but no one responded, so I
> thought I'd try here.
>

> While using JDE I ran into a problem compiling files with emacs CVS.
> There doesn't appear to be a lot of explanation as to why they were
> removed and what can be used to replace the functionality.  The
> variable was used in beanshell.el and several other files in JDEE.

Emacs CVS has a (more or less complete) new compile.el. While I assume
all packages shipped with emacs itself are of updated, external stuff is
clearly not.

I use the following in my .emacs for the time being (but of course it's
a hack, no solution)

(defadvice next-error (before ne-dummy-arg (&optional dummy) activate)
  (if (null (ad-get-arg 0))
      (ad-set-arg 0 1)))
(defadvice compilation-mode (before cm-dummy-arg (&rest dummy) activate))
(defvar compilation-parse-errors-function '(function (lambda (dummy1 dummy2))))
(defvar compilation-enter-directory-regexp-alist nil)
(defvar compilation-leave-directory-regexp-alist nil)
(defvar compilation-file-regexp-alist nil)
(defvar compilation-nomessage-regexp-alist nil)