On Friday, April 6, 2001, at 09:44 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

As you can see there is support for <em> instead of the evil <i>,
<strong> instead of <b>, etc.

Yes, although qualified with "this generally means..." and "most clients should recognize this as..." As I recall, there were always differences between how browsers interpreted these. But I suppose if everyone implementing HTML support in Jabber clients is cribbing from this particular document, they'll all interpret these tags the same way :-)

Bold and italic are nice, but this still leaves open the issue of fonts, point sizes and colors. Otherwise it's a flashback to 1993 and Mosaic 1.0.

—Jens