Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Yes, the <stream/> basically defines the session, so registering a new
> user would be starting a new stream.

That doesn't seem very logical to me. A stream should be independent of
a session, especially if you define a session (I really need to read all
of the Jabber docs) as a set of events that occur for a given task. Say,
to add a user. Or to authenticate and then message others. It seems like
I should be able to actually have multiple sessions on one stream by
simply leaving the stream open:

open stream
 add user
 add user
 authenticate as user a
  message
  message
  chat
 logoff
 authenticate as user b
  message
  message
  chat
 logoff
 add user
close stream

Of course, if we are closing an authenticate session by closing the
stream it would be different:

open stream
 add user
 add user
 authenticate
  message
  message
  chat
close stream

I can see the advantage to the first method however in that you could
begin to 'cache' your connections client side for a large site and
reduce the need to open and close connections, which can be expensive
for both parties. You may even be able to pool sessions on one stream at
some point.

Regards, Dustin