Dustin Puryear wrote:

> > Yes, the <stream/> basically defines the session, so registering a new
> > user would be starting a new stream.
>
> That doesn't seem very logical to me. A stream should be independent of
> a session...

Well, it may not seem logical, but I guess Jabber considers a session to
be delimited by the stream tags.

> Of course, if we are closing an authenticate session by closing the
> stream it would be different:
>
> open stream
>  add user
>  add user
>  authenticate
>   message
>   message
>   chat
> close stream

That's pretty much what we do -- we don't want to keep the stream/socket
open after a session ends because we don't know when someone is going to
reauthenticate on that socket. Keeping sockets open with no active
sessions would cause more overhead than opening and closing closing
sockets as you suggest. Or so it seems to me.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre