we're working on similar types of issues and my take on it this... jabber
isn't an "application server" itself.  it facilitates the routing of
messages to the appropriate destination - normally a human for chat.  of
course the destination can be an "agent" or a transport with
business/application logic coded for a purpose which returns some data or
whatever.  an "agent" could be a stock watcher, a "weather man", a news
grabber, data mine - the list is endless.  you can write an "agent" in
almost any language with all the cool tools the dev guys have done -
Net::Jabber, JabberCOM, JabberBeans, etc...  i'm partial to JabberBeans
'cause we do a lot of Java programming.  then again, as "JAM" develops,
jabber could become more "application server"-ish.

not sure if that's the sorta explanation you're looking for, but i hope it
helps.

and if i'm wrong or off base in any way, someone let me know! ;-)

-wasted