Part of the reason for the Jabber Foundation is to separate the linking between the
Jabber protocol and an 'official'
Jabber server implementation.  Hopefully one of the many tasks the foundation will
handle is clarifying some of the
rough edges in the current client and interserver protocol, and possibly define some
standards for intraserver
protocol (for different server implementations to be capable of sharing the same
components)

-David Waite