I'm sure there has been discussion of this on the JADMIN list (visit
http://mailman.jabber.org/listinfo/jadmin/ to sign up), which is
dedicated to issues of this kind (as opposed to the JDEV list, which is
for software development questions). However, it's good to know that the
order of modules in the <load main="jsm"> section of jabber.xml is
important, since it determines the order in which various modules are
called. So in order to make sure that plaintext passwords are not an
option, you could simply comment out the following line in the <load
main="jsm"> section:

<mod_auth_plain>./jsm/jsm.so</mod_auth_plain>

Alternatively, you could change the order of modules so that
mod_auth_plain comes after <mod_auth_digest> and/or <mod_auth_0k/>, in
which case plaintext passwords would still be possible (you might want
to do this in order to support telnet access, server test scripts, or
whatever).

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre